Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by.

Friday, January 15, 2010

I LOVE broccoli?

So, as you can probably guess by my fear of meat. I am not the most well-rounded eater, and I don't enjoy most vegetables. Well, enjoy, is probably putting it mildly. I do NOT eat most vegetables. There are a few that grace our table often. Corn and green beans being the main two. Smothered in butter and salt. Yum!

But last night, my second attempt at making a "meal". I not only enjoyed a vegetable I would not usually touch, (I would normally pick out every last piece if it happened to be in something I was eating) but I LOVED broccoli! My mom gave me this recipe, and it was SO yummy! My mom and brother kind of created this recipe. You use some broccoli and cheese rice, velvetta, milk, cream soup, and broccoli. It is so easy! I was nervous because I have never ever made a soup before.

From last night I see preparation is my problem. I made up the rice, no problem. But then when it was just about done I was supposed to be putting in the velvetta. I pulled out my huge block of velvetta, my loving sister gave me. I have never owned a huge block of velvetta, so in my mind it would say on it (like sticks of butter) how much to cut off for a 1/4 cup. But it did not. This threw me completely off.

I texted my sis. No answer. Called my mom. No answer. Googled it. No answer.

Hmmm... I didn't want to ruin the recipe, so finally I grabbed a 1/4 cup measuring cup and just cut off small pieces until I filled the cup. Good enough? (How in the world DO you measure velvetta?)

But by this point my rice was well done, so I quickly turned the heat way down, and poured the other ingredients in. Until I got to the broccoli. Now I had frozen broccoli. Which I asked my mom ahead of time if this was ok. She said yeah, just chop it up and throw it in. Now this was the important part b/c I needed the broccoli VERY chopped , so I was not biting into any BIG pieces of broccoli. However, chopping up VERY frozen broccoli. Not so easy!

At this point my soup is boiling over and ready but without the broccoli in it. I once again pull it off the stove and go back to the broccoli chopping. After about 10 minutes I finally get it chopped well enough and throw it in. Pop it back on the stove and turn up the heat.

We had the soup with croissants, and it was so delicious! Kaylen loved it!! Plus we have lots left over for today. Second meal, a success! Now to find some more easy recipes with small amounts of ingredients! And I will prepare ahead next time.

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Cass! About the Velveeta - I very rarely use it - that is why I gave it to you - but anytime I do - I eyeball it. You cannot mess it up - really. It might help if you do your dinner prep before you make your dinner - cut up all veggies, cheeses, measure out pasta, brown your beef etc. Then refrigerate it until you are ready to assemble and cook. Just a thought. I think you are doing fantastic, though! What's for dinner tonight?
    Pray for me today - I am in rough shape. Keep this to yourself, though, please, I don't want Mom knowing. Love you, Sis.

    ReplyDelete