Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Broken Hearts

I'm not sure why my mind has went this way. Maybe from the continual glimpses of hurt children on the television and computer, since the catastrophe in Haiti. My heart is broken for them. I have always had a heart for children. One of the reasons I became a teacher. But my heart just breaks to see these hurting children.

When I think of my childhood I think of no cares or worries. A time to be carefree. A time to imagine and play. No Worries! When I look at these children's faces I see worry and concern. My heart breaks for them.

I have also always had a heart for adoption. I know there is a huge need everywhere, including in the US, but my heart has always been so strong for children overseas. When I see videos of orphanages and children living in the streets I just want to run to them, sweep them up, and bring them home. We don't have a lot to offer, but I would show them love and introduce them to God their Father. Watching those videos makes my heart break.

Having this desire with adoption I became instantly fascinated with the Chapman family. (Steven Curtis Chapman and his wife) I knew of him, as a singer, when I was growing up and listening to "Christian" music. I didn't know much about him, though, until I heard a heart breaking interview from him on the Christian radio station a little while ago. He gave the interview shortly after his daughter died. It is such a heartbreaking story, but him, his wife, and his entire family handled it with such grace showing God's true peace. Since hearing his interview I have followed his blog off and on. He has a large family, with many adopted children. His wife has been very, very honest on her blog about her grief and even anger about what happened to her baby girl. Yet, she clearly states her trust in the Lord.

The Chapmans are also associated with an adoption agency, which helps Christians adopt. It gives out grants, because adoption can be so expensive! I think this is amazing, as I have always wanted to adopt but my husband and I are in no way wealthy. So it makes a way for people who have the heart but not the finances to be able to do it.

I am just in awe of families like this who go through such a trial and yet still show they are human and hurt, but show much stronger that God is in control and they still have their complete and utter trust in Him.

I was able to see this in person when I was teaching. One of my third grade boys had an older brother. He was in eighth grade. A very sweet and tender hearted boy. He became ill the year before I was teaching his brother, and was diagnosed with a kind of leukemia. He was in the hospital for quite some time, and when his brother was in my class he passed away. I went to that funeral, and I was so impressed and inspired by the testimony of his parents and the testimony that little boy had in his short time here on earth. Grief-stricken and hurt at the loss of their young son, his parents were still focused on the peace and love of their God.

I believe with all my heart in my God and His sovereignty, but I also wonder... would I react in such a way? So... as my heart breaks I pray. I pray for the families in Haiti. I pray for all the parentless children eveywhere. I pray for the Chapman family. I pray for this family of the boy I taught. I pray for all families going through trials.

For I know God is in control.

As I look at my little lady being goofy with her daddy; it also reminds me to be thankful for every blessing that I have!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely, Cass. I am right there with you in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete